Advertising Standards Bureau
The Advertising Standards Bureau is the self-regulating body that looks at complaints against all types of advertising in Australia.
Go to www.adstandards.com.au and explore the Bureau’s case studies that shows the results of the board looking at the complaints of advertising.
A) Choose 2 case studies – one that has been upheld and one that has been dismissed.
For each case study, answer the following questions.
- Briefly describe the ad and the complaint against the ad.
- Describe the nature and extent of media influence the complaint suggests the ad has.
- What section of which code is the complaint against?
- What was the Bureau’s view of the complaint? What was the outcome?
- Do you agree with the outcome? What may be the issues in this instance of self regulation?
B) Read the following ‘learning modules’ about the ASB and Industry Regulation
1. Evaluate the role of Industry self regulation in Australia. Do you think the government should have more or less of control of our media?
2. Draw a diagram that explains the roles and connections of the organisations involved in the regulation of advertising in Australia. (ACMA, Advertising Standards Board and AANA)
3. Draw a flowchart that details the complaints process for advertising in Australia