Daily Motion Link – http://dai.ly/x38qzq8
The following documentary explores research done that looks at both the negative and positive influences that video games may have.
Out of the six researches mentioned below and in the documentary, choose two (one negative and one positive) and write up a Research Case Study sheet.
Think about the following points when discussing the case studies.
- Know the name of the researcher, and also the name of the research.
- Be clear of the type of research that was done (check your textbook for different types) and the methodology (how it was carried out).
- What does the research suggest about the nature and extent of media influence (how and how much)
- What do you believe the strengths and weaknesses of the study are?
- What theory does the research comfortably lend itself to?
Research One: The effect of video game violence on physiological desensitization to real-life violence (Carnagey, Anderson, Bushman)
Research (read the Abstract) – https://public.psych.iastate.edu/caa/abstracts/2005-2009/07cab.pdf
Research Two: Does Media Violence Predict Societal Violence? It Depends on What You Look at and When (Ferguson)
Press Release – http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-11/ica-nlf102814.php
Research Three: Competence-Impeding Electronic Games and Players’ Aggressive Feelings, Thoughts, and Behaviours (Przybylski)
Research Four: Increasing Speed of Processing With Action Video Games (Bavelier)
Research Five: Video game training enhances cognitive control in older adults (Gazzaley)